Saturday 13 March 2010

Parrilla Time


On the corner of the streets Chile and Peru in San Telmo, Buenos Aires, I am initiated in the Argentine Parrilla at El Plato. The backbone of the gaucho country´s restaurant scene, the parrilla, is a steak house. Vegetarians need not apply the parrilla is puritan - it´s carne or go home.
Parrillas range from spit and sawdust joints to upscale restaurants. El Plato sits somewhere in the middle, but due to the abundance of well bred/fed cattle in Argentina, you´re guaranteed the steak of your life wherever you end up.
El Plato was once a butcher and evidence remains in the hanging meat hooks, cracked black and white tiled floor and photographs of sturdy men, meat cleavers at the ready, adorn the walls. Tables with white linen table cloths are packed tightly with chunky wooden chairs and a Friday night hub-bub of locals, gives a heart-warming atmosphere I never want to leave.
The menu lists a host of different cuts of beef and a couple of pork dishes. I choose the bife d´chorizo, which is the sirloin cut - not the Spanish sausage. My hunk of Argentina´s finest is thrown on the open grill I can see from my seat. Wood burning flames give the beef a wonderful smoked flavour. The quality speaks for itself, the sirloin is fibrous, juicy and blushing in the middle with a thick side of fat. The steak covers three-quarters of my plate and the strength and freshness of flavour is unrivaled by anything I´ve tasted in the UK. The beef seems to have more complexity to its flavour than its British cousin giving a deeper, richer, er well, beefiness. I am also given three accompanying salsas, my favourite is a thyme, garlic and chilli vinaigrette, which leaves a lasting citrusy tang. Accompanied by fried potatoes country-style and it´s a filling slap-up supper.
A glass of vanillary Malbec compliments the meat perfectly and the best part - the bill totals eleven pounds. Everyone should try a real Argentine parrilla - steak lovers should consider expatriation. It´s beef at its all time best.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Hanna! My name is Coral Ruiz y Lopez and I'm a journalist. I am a restaurant owner in Recoleta, which is in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am looking for some information about tourist opinions, and what they think about Argentinian food. I was especially interested about the restaurants in Buenos Aires. I found your blog and I honestly love what you have written... So, I would love to invite you to come and visit my restaurant. It's a really good grill... It would be awesome for us to have you here and enjoy our food. This is the link to my restaurant, please look it up and let me know if you could visit us.
    http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=831
    Please let me know if you are available to visit us...
    My contact information is coralruizylopez@gmail.com
    Keep in touch
    Coral

    ReplyDelete